David has an extensive background of teaching and leadership in primary and intermediate schools. He was the founding principal of Somerville Intermediate and grew the school to be one of the largest of its type in New Zealand.
During 30 years as a highly successful principal, David has mentored and coached many principals and senior leaders and, conducted numerous appraisals. David was instrumental in establishing a Community of Leading and was the Kāhui Ako Leader. The community included seven boards of trustees, 450 teachers and around 7500 students.
David has been actively involved in local, regional and national education organisations and held senior positions within them. In these roles he provided leadership, advice and guidance to principals and is experienced in governance, organisational development and change management.
He is a highly effective communicator. David has worked on advisory panels for the Teachers’ Council and Ministry of Education. He has a strong interest and a high level of expertise in strategic planning, school review, leading change, developing organisational culture, leadership development, performance management, coaching and appointments. David has an extensive proven record as a very successful educator and school leader.
Education Qualifications Include
- Masters of Education Administration (Hons), Massey University
- Batchelor or Arts, Auckland University
- Diploma in Education, Massey University
- Diploma in Teaching, Auckland College of Education
- Associate of the Chartered Governance Institute
- Accredited Growth Coaching International Coach
Specialist Interest Areas
- Leadership development
- Strategic planning
- Senior leadership appointments
- Organisational development